Filmmaker Woody Allen still finds it “absurd” to have been accused of assaulting his daughter Dylan Farrow.
The director’s adopted daughter with ex-partner Mia Farrow first made the allegations when she split from the actress in 1992, when Dylan was just seven years old.
The charges were investigated by Connecticut authorities at the time, but the prosecutor declined to pursue the case and Allen has repeatedly denied the allegations.
However, Dylan has come forward during the rise of the #MeToo movement to remind fans and Allen’s collaborators of the allegations made against him all those years ago, wondering why the stars were so willing to ignore the reports of abuse to continue working with him.
Now, CBS network officials have created a previously unreleased interview with Allen last July (20), following the launch of his memoir, Apropos of Nothing, in which he revisits the controversy and once again proclaims his innocence.
In meeting with CBS Sunday Morning reporter Lee Cowan, which aired on the Paramount + streaming service on Sunday (March 28, 21), Allen said, “It’s so absurd, and yet the slander has stuck. And they still prefer to hang on if not the idea that I assaulted Dylan, the possibility that I assaulted her. Nothing that I have ever done with Dylan in my life can be interpreted like this.
However, the Annie Hall filmmaker, who has long argued that Dylan was trained to make the allegations by Mia, doesn’t think her estranged daughter is deliberately making up the abuse allegations.
“I think she thinks it,” said Allen, now 85. “She was a good kid. I don’t believe she is inventing. I don’t believe she is lying. I believe she believes it.
The CBS Sunday Morning broadcast special, which also included Dylan’s 2018 interview with the Gayle King TV channel, follows the recent premiere of the HBO documentary series Allen v. Farow, which explores in more detail the sexual assault charges, and in a statement explaining their decision to share the director’s interview now. TV officials cited “renewed interest in the controversy surrounding the filmmaker.”
“Lee Cowan sat down with Woody Allen in July 2020 following the publication of his memoir for what would be Allen’s first major television interview in nearly three decades,” the press release read.
“The interview, which took place last summer during an active news cycle, is presented now given the renewed interest in the controversy surrounding the filmmaker.
“Paramount Plus exclusivity provides the opportunity to explore Allen, his career and the allegations in the context and with the depth that this story demands.” (MT / WNWC / MT)
Must read: Godzilla vs Kong Box Office (Global): With help from China, it continues to break more records – Deets Inside!