Not only can They joke about “that” but here’s how and why you do should.
While many topics may seem off-limits to jokes these days, there is always value in making fun of all the horrific sides of human nature.
Today’s podcast guest John Lee has created Miracle showzen Pushing boundaries and making people uncomfortable in intelligent and meaningful ways. He believes that being political is a necessary part of creating.
In this episode we talk about …
- John’s background and how he got into film as a career.
- John’s early career in New York City and what the industry was like at the time.
- How John and his creative partner Vernon were interested in topics like racism and misogyny, and how important it is to speak about these truths – and how children understand injustice and don’t need things that are glossed over for them.
- Why should all work be political in some way?
- John’s new film False positive and his inspirations for it, including a discussion on Peter Pan.
- Problems in our society with our health system, lack of support systems for people in difficult times and how taboo it is to talk about health problems like miscarriages.
- The importance of approaching a new job or partnership by making sure you are on an equal footing and getting along with who you work for. This is what the interview process is for!
- Why you should have a good understanding of other aspects of film production, such as sound and light.
- How important collaboration is in any art and what surprising skills you need to be a good director.
- Why you need to know who you are the creator and who your work is for so you don’t waste your time selling your work to places it will never buy.
- The art of pitching, which ideally should be short and mysterious enough to involve the producers and get them to ask you questions.
- How John plays, including creative little hooks that get the producers to call him to find out more. Making the pitch process an absurd art project keeps the mind light-hearted.
Links to resources:
Check out our gear guides.