Renny Harlin refused to let his doubters win.
Renny Harlin is one of the great action film directors who has hugely influenced the genre and continues to have a lot of love and passion for his craft. He brings this enthusiasm and many helpful insights into the conversation today.
In this episode we talk about …
- What led Renny Harlin to become a film director and his early influences growing up in Finland which has a very small film industry.
- How much Harlin loves what he does and how grateful he is to do what he does.
- Harlin’s early years shot commercials, then got noticed and switched to television and eventually movies.
- How Harlin survived and stayed motivated when he first moved to the United States and lived in utter poverty to break into the industry.
- Make the leap from the living paycheck to the paycheck to be on the cusp of the action movie genre (with movies like Die hard 2) to refuse work.
- Why you must create happiness by working hard and being persistent.
- Lessons Harlin learned the hard way throughout his career.
- Why he turned away from certain opportunities presented to him.
- How technology has changed over the course of Harlin’s career and how that affects his approach.
- The importance of ground rules and maintaining trust with the audience no matter how much technology and CGI is available.
- How he learns to get better on the set and how he learned from the audience in test screenings.
Links to resources:
Check out Harlin’s new movie The outsider (2021) in theaters now!
Check out our gear guides and entertainment news.