The ARRI Alexa Mini LF also sees new recording modes Software update package 7.0.
In an emailed press release that will excite Super 35 shooters, ARRI announced that Alexa Mini LF can now record several new Super 35 formats right in the camera. In addition, the camera receives new large format modes.
One of the most beneficial things about large format sensors is their different recording modes. If you want to capture full width, you can. However, if you want to resort to full screen, Super 35 or Super 16, you can also do so right in the camera with no worries. This is especially good if you love a set of lenses that can only cover a certain circle of images, e.g. B. Super 35. The ability to jump from one picture mode to another with the same camera is one of the greatest things about digital cinematography. And the Alexa Mini LF now also offers it according to customer requirements.
What exactly do we get with SUP 7.0?
SUP 7.0 overview
- New Super 35 and new large format recording formats
- New names for recording formats
- Improved MAGNIFICATION and more frame lines
- Signature Zoom Extender 1.7x support
- User setup file compatibility
- Camera Access Protocol (CAP) improvements
- Improved communication from LBUS devices and other ECS improvements
- Improved export of log files
- System stability improvements
New Super 35 modes (MFX / Apple ProRes):
- 3.4 KB S35 3: 2 – 3.4 KB up to 60 fps (3424 x 2022 recorded pixels)
- 3.2 KB S35 16: 9 – 3.2 KB up to 75 fps (3200 x 1800) recorded pixels)
- 2.8 K S35 4: 3 – 2.8 K up to 75 fps (2280 x 2160 r)recorded pixels)
- 2.8K S35 16: 9 – HD with up to 100 fps (1920 x 1080 recorded pixels)
New large format recording modes (MFX / Apple ProRes)::
- 4.3 K LF 16: 9 – UHD with up to 48 fps (3840 x 2160) recorded pixels)
- 4.3K LF 16: 9 – HD with up to 75 fps (1920 x 1080 recorded pixels)
With these new formats, three of the four Super 35 modes offer higher frame rates than the Alexa Mini. Although the Alexa Mini supports 200fps at 2.8K S35 16: 9 HD. So if you need high frame rate HD footage over 100 fps, this is something to keep in mind. With the Alexa Mini LF, the 2.8K S35 16: 9 and 4.3K LF 16: 9 modes are downsampled from a higher number of photo pages, so there may be room to play if images at higher resolutions need to be enlarged.
This is a great update from ARRI. For more information on SUP 7.0, see leap.